03/27/2005: Karen's Trivia Questions of the Week
I caught a showing of "Inherit the Wind" about the clash of the two legal Titans; Clarence Darrow and William Jennings Bryan; over the teaching of Evolution. So, It put me in mind of the real Scopes "Monkey" Trial and a few Trivia Questions for this week. Now - since this took place in Dayton, TN -- I'd expect more than a few of you Memphians (or Memphonians) to be more than passing-familiar with this "history" in yer own backyard. (The name difference is all depending upon yer perspective...since a Real Memphis born-and-raised is a "Memphian"; you Transplants are just "Mem-phony-ans." LOL)
As to the movie:
1) The journalist character of E.K. Hornbeck in the movie was based on which legendary journalist?
2) And who played him in this film?
3) What year was this film made?
4) Can you name any other "well known" actors/actresses who appeared in this film and their roles?
About the real Scopes trial:
5) What year did this infamous trial take place?
6) What year was this statute prohibiting teaching Evolution repealed?
7) How old was John Scopes at the time of this case?
8) How many days after the trial did William Jennings Bryan die of apoplexy?
9) What term was coined by the above referenced journalist for this entire area? (Hint it's not "Monkeytown" tho' that nickname stuck and was used as well to describe Dayton, TN.)
10) Which Chicago radio station broadcast the trial live from the courtroom?
Bonus Q: What happened to Mr. Scopes after this trial? Where did he work? and When did he die?
Karen on 03.27.05 @ 05:21 AM CST