07/04/2005: And for a brief "holiday themed" movie break....
Happened to decide to give a view to the classic, The Great Escape this morning, and was treated to the scene where the American prisoners in the POW camp brew up a mess of prison wine (well, I'm going to call it prison wine so I can use that stray link) and share it with the British prisoners for their July 4th celebration.
Incidentally, as I'm sure many of you know, The Great Escape is "based on a true story", and for those of you wanting to know more, there are some good Web resources on the true events:
- U.S. Air Force Academy: The Story of Stalag Luft III (IMHO the best Web resource on Stalag Luft III and the escape on which the movie was based)
- Rob Davis's The Great Escape (another excellent Web resource; includes a detailed discussion of the movie and identification of the movie characters (all composites) with their real life counterparts)
- History in Film: The Great Escape
- The Great Escape Memorial Project
- PBS Nova: The Great Escape (the award-winning PBS science show examines the scientific and engineering aspects of the escape)
Len on 07.04.05 @ 08:25 AM CST