11/27/2005: A Kiss should be just a Kiss...
But this story is awful and sad....
"A Quebec teenager with a peanut allergy has died after kissing her boyfriend who had eaten a peanut butter sandwich hours earlier.
Fifteen-year-old Christina Desforges died Monday. She went into anaphylactic shock and in spite of being given an adrenalin shot, could not be revived.
Pediatric allergist Karen Sigman told CTV's Tania Krywiak if peanuts are still on the tongue or the lips, they can still cause a reaction.
Sigman says teenagers with allergies have to let their friends know.
"If they're going to be dating somebody that they have to tell the people they're close to that they're allergic to make sure the people they're with aren't in contact with those nuts or peanuts," Sigman said.
Parents of children with nut and peanut allergies have the added pressure of constantly watching what their offspring are eating.
Terri Elituv, mother of 12-year-old Jake Elituv, told CTV News they always watch out for snacks that include peanuts, or traces of the legume.
"Everything is just sort of fraught with this underlying tension, you're anxious about what he's going to have, what he could touch," she said.
Elituv's other concern is what happens when her son becomes more independent in his teen years -- and might not share his allergy concerns with friends at parties..."
-- CTV.ca - Talkdaily via Raw Story.
One of my neighbors has a son with very severe allergies to nuts and, as he is only 7, I'm sure this hasn't even occurred to her yet about a fatal contact with nuts from kissing or dating. The school's have become very proactive to warn other parents and remove these things from snack day treats.
But how Very sad for this girl's parents and family and friends.
Karen on 11.27.05 @ 07:04 AM CST