02/16/2005: Magicians, Wizards, Thinkers and Such...
I've noticed a slightly developing pattern here in my musings. As I write, I am discovering my own iconic references to my Magicians; my Techno-Wizards; my techno-weenies; my Thinkers (Brilliant legal minds); my Chef-no-Wizards.
Which remind of some most wonderfully creative and "magically inventive" stories and movies I enjoy.
These "magical tales" basically provide a story viewpoint of the real world through a "lens" of wonderment allowing the real to become surreal.
Some have become movies:
* Secret of Roan Inish ...about Selkies (Seals that transform into humans.)
* The Big Fish..magical imagery of the fathers' Tall Tales in life.
* Like Water for Chocolate...magical happenings to a family (similar to One Hundred Years of Solitude.)
Some are books:
* One Hundred Years of Solitude...awesome but odd story about the Buendia family full of vivid magical evocative imagery of everyday magic.
* The Animal Wife...Pre-Civilization romance about human superstitions and the "other" tribes of people.
I am sure there are others out there too..but these are a few that come to mind. Hope you get the chance to "enjoy the magic" in these too.
Karen on 02.16.05 @ 06:07 AM CST