05/24/2004: Silly meme tricks...
This appears to be another one of those things that's crawling slowly across the blogosphere. Since a little introspection is probably a good thing, I'll go for it.
1. Which political party do you typically agree with?
2. Which political party do you typically vote for?
3. List the last five presidents that you voted for?
Strictly speaking, I've only voted for two presidents, Jimmy Carter in '76, and Bill Clinton in '92 and '96, if you intepret "presidents you've voted for" to mean "candidates you voted for who actually won the presidential election and were subsequently inaugurated". Since most likely the person who wrote this question meant to ask "Who have you voted for in the last five presidential elections?", we'll answer that question instead: Mondale in 1984; Dukakis in 1988, Clinton in 1992 and 1996, and nobody in 2000 (I abstained out of principle).
4. Which party do you think is smarter about the economy?
The studies I've read indicate that the economy has done better under Democratic administrations than it has under Republican administrations. Draw your own conclusions. :-)
5. Which party do you think is smarter about domestic affairs?
"Smarter about domestic affairs"? WTF does that mean? In general, the Democrats support policies that I approve of, while the Republicans generally support policies that I don't approve of.
6. Do you think we should keep our troops in Iraq or pull them out?
Given the atrocities at Abu Ghraib, we've lost Iraq beyond our ability to repair matters. A continuing U.S. presence may be legitimate under some kind of international command as part of a multi-national force. If some international organization isn't going to come in and take over from us, we should get the hell out.
7. Who, or what country, do you think is most responsible for 9/11?
Bin Laden and Al Qaeda.
8. Do you think we will find weapons of mass destruction in Iraq?
9. Yes or no, should the U.S. legalize marijuana?
10. Do you think the republicans stole the last presidential election?
My interpretation of what I saw is that the Bush campaign, with the connivance of a conservative U.S. Supreme Court, managed without justification to bring a premature end to the recount in Florida. You decide if that translates to "the Republicans stole...the election".
11. Do you think Bill Clinton should have been impeached because of what he did with Monica Lewinski?
Impeached for receiving a blowjob from an intern who was of age? Not only no, but hell no! Impeached for lying about it under oath? No, because impeachment as a "remedy" for that behavior resulted in an unjustified expenditure of public funds and distracted the House and Senate from more important concerns.
12. Do you think Hillary Clinton would make a good president?
She couldn't do any worse than Bush. :-) That being said, I think she would be at least a competent president; I don't know if she'd be "good" or not.
13. Name a current democrat who would make a great president:
There is no politician alive in the United States, regardless of party affiliation, who would make a "great" president.
14. Name a current republican who would make a great president:
See # 13.
15. Do you think that women should have the right to have an abortion?
16. What religion are you?
I have no religion. I am a philosophical agnostic/practical atheist. In other words, I do not think the existence of God can be proved or disproved, but I do not think that the probability of God's existence is sufficient to believe that one does. That being said, I am firmly convinced that the Abrahamic religions (i.e., Judaism, Christianity, and Islam) are demonstrably false.
17. Have you read the Bible all the way through?
Yes, several times. That is one of the reasons I believe Judaism and Christianity are demonstrably false.
18. What’s your favorite book?
Critique of Religion and Philosophy by Walter Kaufmann.
19. Who is your favorite band?
20. Who do you think you'll vote for president in the next election?
John Kerry while holding my nose, because he's not George W. Bush.
21. What website did you see this on first?
Len on 05.24.04 @ 12:54 PM CST