01/17/2005: Trivia answers....
1) The World's Smartest Human Being™, Chicago Reader columnist Cecil Adams, has a pet name for the collected readership of his column, "The Straight Dope". What does Unca Cece call his devoted fans?
"The Teeming Millions"
2) Suddenly realizing that he'd accomplished nothing in his 39 years, Homer Simpson decided to become an inventor. After coming to this decision, Homer locked himself away in his basement for days, finally emerging to show his inventions to his family. What 5 things did Homer invent?
1) The electric hammer. 2) An "everything's OK" alarm. 3) The make-up gun. 4) The lazy man's reclining toilet. 5) A 6 legged chair (the extra legs catch you when you lean back too far).
3) When printing documents with certain Macintosh printers, one can see a creature called a "dogcow" in the print setup functions. What is the dogcow's name, and what is its characteristic sound?
The dogcow's proper name is "Clarus", and its sound is "Moof!" (some sources confuse the dogcow's name and sound, and claim that the creature's name is "Moof"). For some quick information on the dogcow (be advised some links from this page are broken) including some QuickTime video files, you might want to check here.
4) The name of Muhammad Adh-Dhib probably isn't one you recall hearing recently, but there is no doubt in my mind that you have heard of what he discovered. What did he discover, and for extra credit, what was he looking for when he discovered it?
He discovered the Dead Sea Scrolls. At the time, he was looking for a lost goat.
5) Two bands, The Lovin' Spoonful and 10cc, share a common derivation for their names. What do these band names reference?
The average amount of semen in a human male's ejaculation.
Len on 01.17.05 @ 06:13 PM CST